Monday, April 30, 2007

Wine Tasting at Marche Aux Vins

To complete the wine tasting... yesterday I went to Marche aux Vins.... if you were doing Patriarche and Marche they are both in the town of Beaune and maybe, walking, less than 8 minutes apart...taste one have a nice lunch then do the other....a good days work! As stated before Marche is set up very similar to Patriarche except the wine cellar is not nearly as impressive. The tasting is pretty much at you own speed and although the Sommelier is about if you have questions it was basically '"laissez faire ". Also what I learned is that if there is special wine you would like to taste that is not on the tasting list just ask....as I did re a Chassagne-Montrachet..white.. but I did not like it as much as the Patriarche C-M. There is very little pressure to buy but like Patriarche they are all set up to sell...although they do not like Canadians as they know that alcohol is controlled by the Government and shipping there difficult if not impossible. Anyway we have learned in the past that the wine you taste for many reasons is not always the wine you get home..not that there is fraud but there is a lot of psychological stuff going on. So here is what I tasted at Marche

Marsannay 1997 13.50E..light, ordinaire
Chablis 1er CRu 1999 22.80E very fruity ,short finish
Mersault 1999 23E ..slightly mineral, oaky, little fiz in the finish


REDS

Chorey-Les -Beaune 2001 14.50E red berries, short finish, simple, strong tannins
Fixin 2001 16E cherry,little earthy, tannins good finish
Beaune 1998 35E H of Dijon a minty taste here, tannins, good finish
Monthelie 2000 13E earthy,good balance of fruit and tannins, longer finish, good price for taste
Savigney-Les-Beaune 1999 18E cherry, tannins strong ,good finish
Aloxe-Corton 1999 26E cherry berry not as much earthiness as I expected but complex
Vosne-Romanee 2004 31E spicey, berry, some mineral and tannins..good long finish , best one
Pommard 2000 27E sweeter.cherry, spicey
Gevrey- Chambertin 2004 25E very distinct but not my favorite
Chambolle-Musigny 2001 26E very nice earthy, sweetish from fruit, balanced tannins.
Beaune 1er Cru 2001 22E this is a Greves and has lots of tannin ,cherry
Corton-Perrieres Grand Cru 1998 49E, soft, balanced,lovely finish ,cherry almost sweet, great but very expensive...80$ Cad

So that is it...almost too many to taste..when you are finished you say Wow what did I taste can I remember all that and what have I figured out about Burgundy wines? I am still a novice and I am working hard. I would like to get some teaching on this and look forward to my class...and talking this over with others and doing this again with Jamie and Bruce... On my way home from this tasting I dropped into my favorite wine store la Boutique des Domaines www.laboutiquedesdomaines.com there was a bit of a tasting going on with some Dutch fellows and the owner gave me 2 wines to try...this is the store I buy my Anne Gros at...Anne by the way scored 3 1/2 out of 4 in the wine guide...

Morey Bernard 2003 22E white... Saint Aubin 1er Cru en Charmois..interesting but still young earthy
Tallot Beaut 2005 16.90E ..red.. Chorey Les Beaune very nice even though it is young... but these are interesting Domaines , not as well known .Today I am going down and check them out in the rating books.. toute finis for today The Wine Ox

No comments: