Wednesday, April 18, 2007

In Beaune with A Cold

Well here I am again... am I doing anything but write on the blog ??? well yes I am but I did get sick and I am working at getting better. Not sure what happened but picked up a sore throat and stuffed nose and just feeling blah so yesterday I babied myself all day....read and even watched a movie. My body is still not adjusting as it should I feel and I am awake at night very late. I am not nervous as the apt is very secure so I am feeling that it is body adjustment...takes a little longer as you age. However, today Wednesday I was up and out early to go to the petit marche the little market....the big market being Saturday...and yes it was little and I was there before some had set up...but I did buy lettuce ..wonderful ..and will have it for supper tonite and cheese....I believe it is called Montballiard...but oh it is not on the label.....it is soft with a blue streak of bacteria through the middle and it is divine... I am having it with a glass of 2004 Chardonnay from a Nuits Saint Georges and it is also wonderful... I cannot tell you about the aromas as my cold is distorting them totally but the mouth taste is lovely and balanced, some fruit and violets no oaking discernible to me... clean and crisp..it was 10e for the bottle... whites I can buy by the bottle as they will last better..the reds I am more leary of but it is hard to find a half bottle...after the market I found this wonderful "chacuterie" and I am sorry to say I did not get the name of it...bit I will the next time as I am now eating their "campagne de pate" country pate and it is subtle and chewey and one of the best I have eaten so I will definately go back....obviously the cold has not effected my appetite. We also have a neighbourhood Patisserie and that is where my bread is from. The owner noticed my CBC knapsack today Elizabeth and her daughter went to Montreal U as an exchange student in Journalism. She speaks only French to me as I have asked her to do that. She seemd a little hesitant re Nouvelle Ecosse but I bet she will find out she seems pretty with it. After all my shopping for food for the next few days and getting money which worked beautifully... I went to the Pharmacy to get something for my cold.Now these Pharmacies are everywhere and although I have seen them I have not really gone in as I have not felt sick here before. So you know how many cold medications we would have in a Shoppers.....Tylenol, Robitussin, Contac C.etc etc.... there was none of that and the gentleman asked me what my problem was...asked a few questions and then proceeded to recommend a totally natural product called Propolis Vitamin C...made in Germany I believe... a loszenge for my throat and a spray for I am not sure .. I am now wondering if I should have sprayed it in my nostrils... I better read that as I sprayed it in my throat... anyway it has helped tremendously and I felt good enough after my late breakfast/lunch to walk the Ramparts and find the cave that the Drouhin's own.....there are according to my sources a number of very good negocients for wine....and I have found most of their places except for Drouhin...however here is the funny thing...last night I was reading the book Wine and War which I told you about..and they were talking about Joseph Drouhin and how he escaped the Nazis by leaving his house from his underground caves in 1942...he lived at #7 Rue L'Enfer and escaped through the cave tunnels to Rue Paradis...well I knew where Rue Paradis was as I ate at a restaurant on Saturday night there...off I went and there it was ..the street and there was the name Joseph Drouhin...to visit their caves go round the corner...so I could see where they must have lived during the 2nd World War and where the Nazi's came to the door and where his wife called down from their bedroom window that he was not there...gone to Paris she said.... anyway I know where they all are now Jadot, Bouchard Pere, Drouhin, Champy et Cie....well I have lied as I have yet to find the giant Louis Latour but I will and I am sure he is close. The main point here is that life has little coincidences clues out there for you. Because I was reading that book then I saw where the Nazi's came as the book gave the address...hope this is not boring you..... before I left we bought a book by Remington Norman...the Great Domaines of Burgundy and these are the ones he talks about so I am trying to find them all before Bruce arrives... negocients... like these guys do everything...they have their own vineyards and bottle under their own name but they also buy other folks grapes and bottle under their name...you can tell which is which by checking out the label closely...then they buy other folks wine and sell it for them under their great umbrella...they are like the exporter... some have only gotten better in the last few years like Bouchard Pere...they were selling garbage wine for very expensive prices...however.with the advent of California and Australian wines the new world and all their "hype" as well as the Parker phenomena some of these great producers realized thay had to 'up" the quality of their wine and get back to good stuff...we are doing a tour of Bouchard Pere on May 15th. Anyway in all those meanderings about the town I found also a little wine bar that gives short courses on tasting wine which I really liked the look of...that is what I need...18e ..6 wines they seem to limit the class to 2 so hope someone will come along.... anyay it was a lovely afternoon and I am home now and enjoying the wine and cheese and pate.... www.sensation-vin.com in case you want to check it out...enough for tonight sweet dreams... I hope I have some The stuffed up Ox

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

When ever I surf on web I come to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]Lots of good information here theburgundyox.blogspot.com. Frankly speaking we really do not pay attention towards our health. Here is a fact for you. Recent Scientific Research points that about 60% of all U.S. grownups are either obese or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] So if you're one of these people, you're not alone. Infact many among us need to lose 10 to 20 lbs once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? Quick weight loss can be achived with little effort. You need to improve some of you daily habbits to achive weight loss in short span of time.

About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also mentor who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under difficult training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effortless weight loss.