Monday, April 16, 2007

And Beaune It Is

Well here I am in my new 'home" for the next 2 months and is not the weather beautiful still. It must have been 30 degrees celsius today at noon and everyone is out and eating in the sidwalk cafe's..way warmer, my sons, than when we were in Provence a few years ago...I think this is exceptional though and my landlords are warning me that wonderful weather like this brings horrendous thunderstorms and how to unplug everything etc So let me tell you this.. I am sitting at my computer drinking from a demi bottle of 2000 Savigny-les Beaune Les
Lavieres.. a premiere cru of the Bouchard Pere & Fils negocients of Beaune. It has this wonderful 'sous bois' or muskiness that I love in a pinot noir and is the mark for me now of my favorite wine...I just read that and please be clear I am not drinking from the bottle but a wine glass...that was sort of what it sounded like.

But before I get you to Beaune let me go back to Versaille and tell a bit of the experience there... this is a bit of a memory blog for me so bear with me. Versaille is incredible...so much opulence and art and grounds that are jewels to be in....although I had been there before with you Bruce at the time we had not been able to go to Marie Antionette's little Trianon and her little village so that was important for me to see. I spent the morning in the Grand Palace and then the afternoon after a nice lunch on the grounds over at Petit Trianon and the Farm and Village. Considering all the rumours re Marie's opulence..her Petit Trianon was very bare and ordinary..she was definately getting away from it all...but her theatre where she put herself in plays was just wonderful and is still used ...it seats about 300 people..I was the only person there having a look at it that afternoon at least at that time....let me stop to say that my church bells are ringing out the 8 in the evening time... I love hearing them. Anyway the Village surrounds a very nice little lake...a mill and about 6-7 other little houses...none of which you can tour as they are crumbling and in need of restoration. I am sure though that to keep up the Palace takes enough money that you cannot fault the French. However, this is a wonderful National historic site and people flock there from all over the world .
So, in the last e-mail I told you I was all prepared for my trip on Saturday to Beaune except when I arrived at the train station it was closed for that day for repairs a point my clerk had failed to tell me...what was I to do? This kind of situation puts stress on the aging heart...however, France has put me in the care of a number of aging supermen who have rescued me and my white hair. So I was directed to the bus stop...then when the bus driver could not speak English a dashing 75 year old took me under his wing to Paris. However, once on the subway I could settle down and see where I was going and left him at a stop with a better transfer to la Gare du Lyon where I was going to connect to the high speed train..he is still probably wondering if I made it but I did. Thank heavens I am always several hours early and had lots of time to flounder. I had taken the liberty of travelling first class to Beaune...not much more than 2nd class but well worth it... the trip was a little more than 2 hours but I needed to change trains in Dijon...well, there was no elevator in Dijon and I was needing to drag that suitcase up and down stairs...but always there was a male to rescue me... the gallant French..and they never complained of the heaviness...even when I arrived in Beaune I was once again faced with stairs and there was my male.... now don't worry folks I know it is my age and not my beauty...
And on to my new home on Rousseau Deslandes the oldest street in Beaune I was met by a wonderful young man named Julian who lives above me and is the head of the Council of people who own the apartments...that was serendipitous he just happened to be coming in when I was and once again helped me with my suitcase and even invited me for tea...he was a cutey and married with a 1 month old baby...but loves to meet the folks in the rental apartment so my landlord Laura tells me.. I refused b/c I was heading for the supermarket to stock up for a few days. So this is the end for now.. I will write again but you only have so much time to read and I have been writing for ages. Best wishes to you all... Lizziebugs received your comment and Sandra also... it makes me feel very good to hear from you and yes give Bruce a call now and then...Au revoir... the Burgundy Ox...who is now in Burgundy

No comments: