Friday, April 20, 2007

Getting Back to Normal in Beaune

I have seen nothing but blue skies in Beaune so far...a whole week with this amazing weather. Yesterday I walked the 3 plus km to Pommard..a wine growing village...my journey took me all through the vineyards and it was wonderful..just a few cyclists and hikers like myself...many workers among the vines..clipping at the vines, scarifying the soil around the root and maybe just making sure the vine was growing along the first trellis...each vine seems to have approximately 6-7 smaller vines coming off of it all with leaves....it will be fun to see how much they all grow in the 8 weeks I am here. It was an unplanned walk.. I was actually just checking out a small prak and then I could see the vineyards in the distance and away I went... badly planned as I had no water, no hat but I did have the right shoes and my walking stick... I take that most times as the streets here are all cobbled and I have fallen in some towns like Arles and given myself nasty injuries. Anyway once I got close I had to go further and then I said just to that church spire which was Pommard...everyone was indoors as it was about 1 o'clock...the French lunch break.. I found a small grocery store open and bought some water and iced tea...all the iced tea seems to be peach flavored..then a seat by the Church where I was joined by 2 nuns on a journey and having their lunch...they were dressed in their habits of grey...something we do not see much on the North American side anymore....and then I walked back to Beaune spending time in the Park watching families and ducks in the small lake..they had lovely swans and even some Canada geese. A walk through town had me looking for a chapeaux to wear on my next hike...asking at a dress shop in my best French the owner pointed to a store a few doors down with some hats in the window...I squeezed throught the door and there was a very jumble store of hats...all over the place and an old man and woman...she looked after me and I could inderstand enough that she was asking me if I wanted a summer hat ...l'ete... I said oui and she took me to a pile of cotton hats ..just what I wanted...different colours.. I chose white and for 12 e the hat was mine.... I wore it today on my next walk which was up the Beaune Mountain.... the vineyards grow all the way up the side of the mountain...well not like Everest more like Citadel Hill...well a bit higher... I was the only walker around this morning but the weather is to be warmer over the weekend ...can you believe that? and I wanted to get my walk in today...did not get all my steps done so I will need to go out after.. I thought I would go and sit in the square for a bit and read....and visit the Chocolatier on my way home a little treat for Friday nite to celebrate being here a week. Elizabeth I did not hear you mention France on the radio this AM as I was out for my walk..thank you though!!! So how am I feeling much better thank you..not 100% yet but out and about as you can read. Before I sign off let me tell you about the flora this time of year...the daffodils are spent and the tulips are close. The lilacs and wisteria are wafting their aromas everywhere as they are in full bloom. The roses are climbing the houses and are full of bloom...the flower boxes are full of pansies and geraniums and decorate most houses and squares... on my walk this AM some houses were planting their vegetable gardens and I could see potatoes way up. So it is very advanced here weather-wise and I am thinking a very good alternative to Florida or Arizona or even Spain...I guess the next question would be how is my forced isolation going? I am still feeling very chipper..there is so much to do here that I plan little excursions and goals for each day keep my eyes and ears open as there is so much going on around me and enjoy myself that way. So far I am not missing talking with people..although I would like to understand the French election better...it is happening on Sunday. Laura who owns my apartment and has a blogsite has all the folks running listed on her site with a little comment about each...from her site I take it there is no overwhlming candidate and some she very much does not want to get in...racist, anti-immigration, pro family..we know what that means..le Pin... anyway Sunday I am going to mass and then to the Maire where the voting takes place just to linger about... by the way there are hardly any posters up not like we do with posters everywhere..must be some by-laws regarding that.Tomorrow is the big market and that is supposed to be great.... A bientot the Ox who is looking for chocolate... thanks for the e-mails everyone keep them coming!!!how about some comments.

2 comments:

Bryan said...

Hi,Ardythe.It's Bryan and Lynda Bradbury,Laura's parents.Just a short note to say how much we are enjoying your blog.Also we have forwarded you blog's URL to friends of ours who will be staying in the apartment in 2008.

Your blog will be a great tourist guide for those who follow you.

Many thanks for sharing Burgundy experience on line.

Regards,Bryan and Lynda.

Anonymous said...

great post. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did any one learn that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.
[url=http://amazon.reviewazone.com/]Evelyn[/url]