Friday, April 12, 2013

Beautiful Fontaine de Vaucluse


On Wednesday we started to  visit some of the beautiful towns around L'Isle and the first was Fontaine de Vaucluse... the headwater for the Sorgue River. It starts out as the most quiet looking little spring/lake but it is reported to spew out the most water of any spring in all of Europe. The guide books tell you how much a year/day/ week/ minute but I cannot keep that info in my head. But what I can say is that it is absolutely beautiful! Well hey here is a picture.                                                              

Note the beautiful green/ turquoise colour. I wish I could show you the mountains surrounding this spring but my photo guy did not take those panoramic scenes...guess I will have to get more envolved in the shoot. Lots of folks like Jacques Cousteau have done dives down to try to determine the depth and the number of underground streams feeding the spring but have only managed to get to about 308 meters... but did note lots of streams. As the  water flows down toward the Village it picks up steam and hey it actually made steam and ran water wheels  used for making paper... and cloth.. and all sorts of things ..but alas that kind of power is obsolete...go figure and now it is just a beautiful place to visit with lots of tour buses all trying to turn the small round about in the  the center ville... wow that is fun to watch.. the germans seem to be the best at manipulating through small spaces.           
And s

o it goes down to the village .
And eventually arrives in our Village! We spent all afternoon in Vaucluse roaming the streets and pe0ple watching and of course going  up the hillside to the Fountaine.There were a number of fishers on the banks further down and we watched them and talked to camper folks in  a small  camping spot for these great camper vans that are so popular over here. The couple we spoke to was from England and they spend six months in France camping all over... the weather is so much better than back home they said..we can relate to that... as you can see it was a glorious day..leaves are coming on and lots of bushes etc in bloom.. forsythia out..violets..tulips.. and folks are starting to put out their balcony plants..we actually have herbs growing on our balcony here.  I wish I was better with this blogging...you can see that  I am now having touble with the font and as well I cannot seem to get back to the beginning of the line once I install a picture...plus this Acer is so small I am having problems seeing what I write...but I need to use it as the Ipad will not allow me to download pictures..oh dear a first world problem. The market on Thursday here in L.Isle was great and  Bruce bought himself a new hat...felt and black and Jim Ferguson would be proud! A step up from a cowboy hat.  I will get a picture in here soon. We got all our vegetables at the market and olives...oh my...so many to choose from.. Nyons is what I am buying... both green and black..sometimes with garlic and others with peppers and tomato.The strawberries are all out and we are having those every morning but you have to eat them up fast as they  turn very quickly. But people walk along the street eating them.. the gal in the gas booth the other day when we filled up was munching on  a box. We now have a favorite charcuterie and went there after the market to buy veal... I never buy veal at home.. it is so rare...these were veal cutlets and we had them last evening with onions and mushrooms...and new string beans..In the afternoon after the market and lunch we drove to our next village ...Vaison la Romaine to see the ancient Roman ruins... the largest collection in France...it was so amazing that we could not get all of it done in the PM and so went back again today Friday... here is a sample...in pictures.. i am stopping now as i must get ready for bed.. tomorrow for the wine lovers we are going to another Fetes up in Cairanne one of the Cote de Rhone Villages where lots of villages are supposed to be dislaying and having their wine to taste  Siguret, Roaix, Gigondas,Vacqueres.. I must learn them all....this time we are better prepared and have some producers we want to try..IF they are there but here are some pictures of the Roman ruins the amphi theater was amazing..I seem to be using that term alot ..4 BC to 6AD



No comments: