Monday, February 5, 2007

The Adventure is Planned

This year is a significant birthday for me! Yes I am a Boomer...still married after 37 years. Two children. My life has been safe and secure. I am well educated... always had a job..have a pension...even did something twelve years ago to put a little zip in my life by opening up a B&B. I am no wilting daisy..I have lots of opinions, take control of most situations,manage my time well. In fact, I rarely waste time, always setting goals,planning activities,making sure that I fill each day with something of significance no matter how small and lowly. Travelling has always been part of my life....with France being my favourite spot, where my husband and I return to time after time..year after year. I love reading books about those folks who leave their present life and set up house in France. Peter Mayle is the most famous but there are lots more especially women. And France is not the only destination. Italy and more specifically,Tuscany,is another favorite. I have read many of them and will make up a list when I am home and able to look thru my libraray if anyone is interested.
SO, although I have enjoyed these sojourns into France and I have learned lots regarding food wine and cheese there has been a deep desire to stay longer than the two week vacation. To be more like the folks in the books who buy houses and actually make a life there in a small village becoming part of the daily grind of markets, espressos, Sunday church service, village concerts and favorite patisseries.
But my husband has continued to work and is not yet ready to stay longer than the usual 14-16 days and I am chomping at the bit. Couple that with the fact that I am feeling"older" and needing to get at it before my body fails me in some way keeping me stranded on the North American side of the Atlantic. Enjoin that with the fact that I left my Dad to get married and have done everything since with my husband.
I know you are guessing what I am about to be up to and if you said...she is going to France by herself you are right.... for 8 weeks in a smallish village in a nice little apartment close to the centre of town. No car but lots of opportunities to walk ..just like the French usually do and a small bicycle shop where I can rent a bicycle should I want to venture out in to the countryside. So there you have it. And the adventure begins this April! This blog is there so you can follow along with me on my adventure.

No comments: